Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Catching up


I've been so busy working in the garden I've neglected you!
We finished the Compost Bins and they are working quite well. No more stinky mess in the plastic garbage can I was using.
We also built the second bed in the side yard and fenced it in. Here's a pic of Patrick planting Cosmos and Petunias.




In the new bed:
4 tomatoes: Lemon Boy, Mr Stripey, Husky Cherry and Beef Master
2 red peppers
Bee Balm
2 basil and 1 spicy globe basil
a HUGE Rosemary bush
4 strawberries
5 bush beans
and lots of Marigolds for pest control and because they are so cheerful.

In the first bed:
Collards continue to go crazy and I will be harvesting, cooking and freezing very soon.
Purple Cabbage is starting to look luscious


the lettuce is almost gone
Freshly planted:
4 Cauliflower
4 Black Zucchini
2 Spaghetti Squash
2 Cucumber
Once the Collards are harvested I'll need to plant something in that spot. any ideas?





We spent all last weekend building a shed in the back yard. It's made of resin and is 6x8 feet. Took us all weekend to put the kit together with the help of my daughter, son and neighbor. Grandchild played in the wading pool for all of Saturday afternoon, kept herself entertained, what a jewel she is.

I don't have any pictures yet, I'll take some once I get it planted and settled in. They shorted me 26 screws so I have to make a trip to Home Depot to get some replacements to finish. Then I want to get some concrete pavers for just in front, a landing zone for the lawn mower and a path through the yard eventually. I'd love to do crushed gravel for the paths, but we will probably settle for mulch.
I got 2 ground orchids to plant by the shed, originally I thought I would plant them in front but as you can see the front is mainly doors so I'm not sure where I will put them.


This one is tall, about 2 and 1/2 feet and then a smaller one with peachy pink flowers.
I also got this little guy to protect and be a backyard mascot:



I've been wanting a bird bath and didn't like any I've seen so I decided to make my own. I bought a plant saucer and plant stand and I'm painting them. I'm going to weight down the saucer with a large quartz crystal so hopefully it won't be tippy.
I'll post some pics once I'm finished.

I also painted the bird feeder, once again no pics but will take some on the weekend. The bird feeder is done with the colors I'm doing the back porch with. I started painting the porch 2 weekends ago but the stepstool I was standing on to paint the ceiling collapsed under me and I fell. Luckily I fell on my head so no permanent damage done. Anyway the ceiling and supports are turquoise, the back door is purple and the trim around the windows in the door will be coral. I'm still looking for a saying to paint on the beam that you see as you walk out to the back yard. So far in the running:
Love Lives Here
The Amazing is Happening Now
Dance with Creation
Love is your true nature
choose love
what's your idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment