Sunday, October 3, 2010


So we've made a very small garden. I've planted way to much, but I figure half of will not make it so I overplanted.
We've got 3 tomato plants, Lemon Boy, Brandywine, and a Grape. Collards, Turnips, Spinach and a Lettuce mix. Globe Basil, Oregano, and Rosemary. Marigolds.
I always had a garden when I was younger. It made me feel good. I've been making compost for about 2 years in garbage can. Not the best method but it keeps it out of site of the neighbors. I'm ready to make a pile in the side yard and start composting leaves and grass clippings and not just kitchen waste. In other words I'm ready to get serious about it.
So this little garden is an experiment to \see how well we are able to keep up with it. I'd like to acutally have 4 raised beds in this area. They will just fit if I put them up against the house and the fences with a central mulched path, no grass. The compost heap is going in the back under the tree. Right now that is full of weeds growing about 4 feet high and kudzu vines growing up the weeds into the tree. So I have my work cut out for me. At the other end is some kind of scubby bush/palm that thre neighbor planted and it died on his side of the fence and grew like crazy on my side. So the has to be dug up also. We've got the entire Winter (until February) to do it as the ground never freezes here in Flor-i-duh.
I'm going to look around for a Meyers Lemon, there's a spot in the front yard I have in mind. I had one before and I loved it. About 12 years ago we had a severe drought followed by a severe frost and I lost it. Lost my azeala's that year too. So I will replace it.
I'm also thinking about making a hedge of Blueberries down the side of the front yard. Fresh Blueberries every year, wouldn't that be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment